BANANA CHEESE CAKE
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
5 tbsp melted butter
1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed St. Lucian bananas (these are smaller and sweeter than the South American variety typically found in the United States)
1/4 cup banana liqueur
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp banana liqueur
1 tsp banana extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a bowl.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and part of the way up the side of a 9-inch
spring form pan.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the cream, sugar, banana liqueur and
vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Carefully spoon the filling into the shell, taking care not to disturb the
- Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, blend the sour cream, sugar, liqueur and vanilla in
- When the cake is ready, spread the topping evenly over it.
- Bake the cake for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer it to a rack and let it cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator, covered loosely, for several hours or overnight.
- Remove the side of the pan, transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- Garnish it with fresh banana slices just before serving.